Thursday 10 September 2015

And so it begins...

It didn't really hit me until we were about to pull up to the departure drop off at DIA. This is really happening. I am about to leave the country for the first time ever and go live in a foreign place for nearly the next four months. I make note of the beautiful day it is in Colorado, sun shining and the great big blue sky roaming with clouds. I know that when I get back in December everything will be covered with snow and frost. Finally we arrive. Quickly we stop and both me and dad unload my luggage. Rachel's mom and my dad wanted to go all the way to security with us but realized that it would take too long to park and come all the way back so instead they decided to say goodbye to us right there on the curb. I was both anxious and sad at this point as me and dad took a quick picture together and I gave him one final hug. Considering that I have never been in a situation like this, leaving my family behind for so long and all, I would have to say I think I handled it pretty well. There is always Skype!

Having said our last goodbyes me and Rachel checked in our luggage (all of our luggage came out to be slightly lighter than we originally thought which is always nice), and went through security which worked out quite smoothly. Luggage checked, body patted down, boarding pass in hand I walk in line to enter our flight to Philadelphia. Silently, I say one last goodbye to Colorado, here we go.




3 1/2 hours later we arrive in Philadelphia with only a short hour and a half layover. In this time me and Rachel ate some airport pizza (which was ok), bought an airplane pillow for the longer flight to Scotland, and got a few snacks. I thought about buying a Freedom Bell souvenir because when will I be Philadelphia again anytime soon? Ya know? I tossed that idea when I saw even a tiny bell was $12. Again we get in line as it is already time to depart. As we were waiting to be checked on I thought about how I felt that the last flight at 3 1/2 hours was long, and here we are about to embark on a 7 1/2 hour flight. I hadn't been on a plane since I was only a toddler for a wedding; I guess these long flights were making up for all the lost time. Once situated onboard the sun sets as the plane rolls off onto the runway, farewell America, see you soon Scotland.

Having not been able to sleep much during the long flight I am awake as we are nearing the end of our voyage. I was in a middle seat, so I leaned over the sleeping lady next to me to get a glimpse of the sun rising on the horizon (keep in mind we are now 7 hours ahead of MST, so it is morning in Scotland). The view was spectacular, and as we began to lower altitude I could see more and more of the landscape beneath us. Mountains, a vast open countryside, and green- lots and lots of green everywhere. Before too long we are above the city of Glasgow, preparing to land. The city sprawl is both captivating and intriguing as I think there are so many adventures awaiting for me. A few short moments later we touch down on the air strip, we have arrived.

Customs went incredibly smoothly for me considering that all my supporting documents for school were in my carry on which was past the customs station with the rest of my luggage. Long story short back in Denver there apparently wasn't enough overhead room within the airplane cabin for any more carry-ons, so my carry on had to go below the plane with the rest of the luggage and I couldn't get any of it again until I reached my final destination. I had a chance to grab anything I may of needed out of it before I handed it off, but all I managed to grab were my gummy worms and beef jerky for the ride, but completely forgot the folder with all of my supporting documents! 

The customs agent that helped me was a pleasant middle-aged woman, with one hell of a Scottish accent. This was my first time encountering it and I admittedly had to ask her to repeat herself on several occasions, but regardless she was real nice and took an interest in where I was from and what I was going to school for. When it came time to show her my supporting documents I explained to her what had happened and she was thankfully very understanding about it! She told me she didn't want to make me wait and instead she just asked me a few more questions regarding schooling and my stay. This only took a little longer and before long she was stamping the first page on my passport, it was official now, I am a resident (albeit temporary) of Scotland!

Passport stamped I went and was quickly able to claim my luggage, luckily nothing was missing and everything had come through. Knowing that I needed some cash I used the ATM at the airport and withdrew some cold hard Scottish pounds. Rachel, myself, and a handful of other American students huddled together in the airport, waiting for our shuttle to come shortly.


No comments:

Post a Comment